Hopefully you all had a pleasant little short week, and celebrated in style. Since we have clients all over the world, lets not forget that the USA was not the only country celebrating this week. Along with a Happy Independence Day to America, we want to wish our friends up North a Happy Canada Day (July 1st), our island buddies a Happy Bahamas Day (July 10th), and to all our pals around the world celebrating Independence days of their own, we say cheers. To keep the celebration rolling, have a look at some of our favorite stories and headlines from this week in mobile web.
• The battle for the top spot in the mobile market place is one that major names like Android and Apple are fighting tooth and nail to win. For now at least, while the Android market may be moving more units per day, the folks at Apple seem to be holding the belt in terms of market share as a new report came out of NetMarketShare stating that the iOS claims 65% of the mobile landscape.
• Tracking your mobile sites’ performance can be a key factor in building a powerful mobile presence. Well this week, mobile site tracking got a whole lot easier as Google Analytics has finally come to the mobile platform.
• While Facebook struggles to monetize mobile, the folks at Twitter are having no such problems. This week, a report from Marketing Land shows that Twitter is now actually making more revenue from its mobile advertising initiatives than it is from its desktop advertising.
• There have been rumors floating around the blogosphere for months that Mozilla may be developing an HTML5-based mobile browser, and this week huge news came from the Mozilla camp as the company announced its new browser, Firefox OS.
• It’s very rare in this industry that any story is sad enough to make us say “awww” but I can’t help but think that is the case with a little company known as Research in Motion. Yes folks, RIM is still trying to hang on to one last shred of credibility, but it seems after a week of turmoil, the company is finally on its last leg.
• BONUS: Okay so we’re kind of nerds here at FiddleFly, but every once in a while we wish we had the chance to really cut it loose like the folks over at Syyn Labs, who spend their days building robots, blowing things up, and getting paid to experiment with machines in dangerous ways that most of us can only dream about.
That’s it for us this week folks. Enjoy your weekends, be patriotic, and as always, keep following FiddleFly for more updates and developments from the world of mobile web.